Thursday, December 15, 2011

Huzoor is kadar (Masoom)


Indian men are not known for their expressiveness. I'm not talking about writing novels or making movies (and recently, writing blogs) running over with emotions. I'm talking about them expressing their (soft) emotions (love, romance, happiness, sadness) in real life. Have you seen a middle-class, middle-aged Indian man tell his wife how beautiful she is, in public? I'm sure you haven't - because they just don't do that. 

Unless they're drunk.

We've often been to parties where a very disciplined and strict by the day uncle, after a peg or two, would suddenly go all soft, declaring his love for his wife, even singing songs for her. The shocked but amused wife will pretend to be angry and scandalized, though she's enjoying every minute of this attention.

All this has been perfectly captured in this song. Naseeruddin Shah and Saeed Jaffrey are at their suave but impish best, mirroring on screen the playfulness of Bhupinder and Suresh Wadkar's voice. This, in my opinion, is the ultimate grown-up party song :D

Lyrics, and translation

Huzoor is kadar bhi na itra ke chaliye
Khule aam aanchal na lehra ke chaliye

[[My lady, don't be so vain!
Don't walk with such a carefree, breezy attitude.

 In Indian society, women are supposed to cover themselves (in this case, in saree) and walk with care, so they wouldn't be considered promiscuous. So walking 'khule aam aanchal lehra ke' (with her scarf flowing away) would mean that she doesn't care what others are thinking about her. 
My translation might have made it look like it's said in a serious manner, but read it all as a playful banter - because that's how it is meant.]]

Koi manchala gar pakad lega aanchal
Zara sochiye aap kya keejiyega
Laga de agar, badh ke zulfon mein kaliyan
To kya apno zulfein jhatak deejiyega
(Huzoor is kadar...)

[[What would you do, if someone starts flirting with you?
If someone puts flowers in your hair, would you simply wrench it off your hair?
(That's why, my lady, don't walk with such an attitude..)]]

Badi dilnasheen hain haseen ki ye ladiyaan
Ye moti magar yoon na bikhraaya keeje
Uda ke na le jaaye jhonka hawa ka
Lachakta badan yoon na lehraya keeje
(Huzoor is kadar...)

[[Your smile is really divine, but don't waste these pearls so freely (on everyone who looks your way).
The way you seem to glide about, I'm afraid lest a gush of wind takes you away.
(That's why, my lady, don't walk so vainly...)]]

Bahot khoobsoorat hai har baat lekin
Agar dil bhi hota, to kya baat hoti
Likhi jati phir daastaan-e-mohabbat
Ek afsaane jaisi mulakat hoti
(Huzoor is kadar...)

[[Everything about you is beautiful, if only you also had a heart!
Then we'd have had a fairy-tale encounter, and stories would have been written about us.

(If only you were not so cruel and heartless, you would have noticed my love for you. And we might have even had a fairy-tale romance.]]


(Side note: As a kid I thought Javed Jaffrey was Saeed Jaffrey's son :D)

10 comments:

  1. nice post.
    i absolutely love this song. loved it even when i was not a "grown up". but yeah, listened to it mostly when i was drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Saras
    thanks! :) I didn't say non grown-ups couldn't love it. I meant that it would be enjoyed more in a grown-up party song than a teenagers' party. Conversely, it'd be enjoyed more than the other teenage party songs such as Pappu Can't Dance Saala. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two things to say..

    1. "I'm talking about them expressing their (soft) emotions (love, romance, happiness, sadness) in real life. Have you seen a middle-class, middle-aged Indian man tell his wife how beautiful she is, in public? I'm sure you haven't - because they just don't do that.

    Unless they're drunk."

    I object to such a sweeping statement that doesn't even allow for an exception...

    2. The translation, unfortunately, does little justice to this song. I guess the playfulness/teasing of this song is hard to capture in a translation. Or maybe I feel that way because I am just too fond of the original..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bahot khoobsoorat hai har baat lekin
    Agar dil bhi hota, to kya baat hoti
    Likhi jati phir daastaan-e-mohabbat
    Ek afsaane jaisi mulakat hoti
    (Huzoor is kadar...)

    [[Everything about you is beautiful, if only you also had a heart!
    Then we'd have had a fairy-tale encounter, and stories would have been written about us.

    (If only you were not so cruel and heartless, you would have noticed my love for you. And we might have even had a fairy-tale romance.]]


    Kanu! A remarkable job done forever by you. Choossen a meaningful song with its full masti and thurst] the bliss bless and abuse...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Divesh
    1. Objection sustained. :P
    But I have yet to come across an uncle who'd tell his wife publicly how beautiful she is :/

    2. 'Doesn't do it justice' is an understatement! As I keep saying, these lyrics are un-translatable. At the end of every post I feel like I've managed to kill something beautiful. But alas, such is the nature of this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm...

    Kanu
    I think this one of your low. It is still good but not Kanu-good.

    I think itra ke chaliye is more like walking in attitude not vainly.
    You used this translation in the second para.

    I was also missing the Kanu special (apart from translating you used to write about true meaning of the couplets)

    BTW
    I heard this song for the first time and I liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Bhav:
    Thanks for the comments :) I'll try harder the next time. After all, Gulzar's lyrics deserve nothing but the best.

    Yeah probably walking with attitude could be a better choice, but I don't know, I couldn't find words good enough for the translation.

    I'm surprised you heard it for the first time!

    At least I could be happy about introducing you to a nice song :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    This song is so endearing to me...really liked the way you interpreted..
    this song also has a 'sher'in the beginning like...
    " .... seene se tere dekh, seene se tere dekh, dupatta .."
    can u plz write the entire sher and its intrepretation?

    Kudos, keep it up

    Amrit Singha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amrit,
      Thanks!
      I don't remember the sher, but will translate once I come across it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...